Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Slowly Getting Better

I am slowly starting to feel better day by day, although I do still get tired if I do too much. My brain fog is clearing a little bit at a time, and I can hold a thought for more than 60 seconds now! LOL...Naps have been reduced to one about every 3 days instead of 4 per day, so that is a definite improvement! Hashimoto's is not going to get the best of me!

I have been walking a lot this last 10 days logging in about 25 miles or so. It feels good to have the energy to make it past the end of the street for sure! The first few days Donna drug me behind her wheelchair, with me clinging on for dear life - but I have managed now to let go and I can walk up the BIG hill on my own.

After 6 years of constant bitching, the management of my building finally started work on my deck. Had they done something 6 years ago, they would have just had to paint - however now, after the deck has been left virtually exposed to all elements it now has to be completely torn out and rebuilt! Fine by me! Now I get a brand new beautiful deck! Franco and Lynn (the builders) assure me that the deck will be so wonderful I will spend more time outside than in. Not hard - as that is almost the case now! Anyway - when it is complete I will post pictures so you can all enjoy it!

Donna and I went to see the gastroenterologist yesterday. She has been losing weight over the past 3-4 years and it is starting to become a serious issue. It is so difficult for her to eat, as raising her arms up to her mouth is a chore, chewing is getting harder and eating just isn't joyful for her. She decided she wanted to get a feeding tube in order to supplement her diet, up her calorie intake, and see if she can get up to 90 pounds again. Right now I would say she is hovering around 65 or so and being 5' 9" means she is damn skinny! At any rate, the appointment went well and it looks as though we are going to go ahead, hopefully come September. it is going to be a load off her mind for sure, and I can tell she felt relief when she left the appointment. This will be one more thing for me to learn about and make sure all is running well, but I am sure I am up for the challenge.

All in all, things are going well.

3 comments:

laughingwolf said...

grats on the improvements to both you and donna, kg :)

look fwd to the pics!

Dee Jay said...

A couple of years ago my niece opted for a feeding tube for similar reasons. She simply was not getting her nutrional needs met, and it was becoming a serious health issue. Since it has been put in, her quality of life has gone up considerably. She looks better, and more importantly, she feels much better and has far more energy.

She can still eat foods that she loves or wants to eat, but she's no longer having to rely solely on eating to keep her health up.

It's been a blessing all the way around. I hope the same can be said for Donna once she has hers put in. Please tell her my thoughts are with her and I am crossing my fingers for her.

Awesome news on the deck! That's going to be so wonderful for you when it's done.

From the patzer said...

Wow, before we know it you are running a marathon beside the wheelchair of Donna who offcourse will be your coach.

I hope the feedingtube helps for Donna.