Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Mini Vacay

I need to update. I am not sure when life became so busy, and I have no more time for blogging, because it really seems like nothing has changed in my life. However, I do spend far less time here than I used to.

At any rate. Donna is going in for her surgery on Sept 8 for her feeding tube. It is a small procedure so I am pretty confident all should go well. However, because she has been undernourished for so long she will have to stay in the hospital for a full week, to make sure her body tolerates the feeds, I know how to work the pump, and the staff is confident we can do everything at home. Not really excited about the week's stay, but there isn't much that can be done about that. Also, the ward she will be staying in at the hospital, is not equipped to handle a ventilated patient so if Donna wants to have this procedure done, then I have to sign a waiver, and be her 24-hour care during her stay. Now most certainly I don't mind doing that, because I know she feels much more confident knowing I will be there to care for her, but why aren't nurses trained in the simple art of suctioning??? It's really not all that complicated. However, I shall not bitch and I am looking at this hospital stay as a mini vacation. I wish the accommodations were a bit more luxurious than hospital drab, but I will do anything to make Donna more comfortable!

I have to take a week off work, so we decided to make our time enjoyable and ordered Season 1 and 2 of Wires to watch on DVD, bought some yarn to knit a sweater and Donna is going to do a cross-stitch. I am hoping to get home for a shower every day as the caregiver can stay with D for a couple of hours. So, although the accommodations aren't 5-star, they are free, I don't have to cook, clean or work, and I should get some nap time in the afternoon, barring visitors.

On that note, I am off to complete my day's work and hopefully get in an hour of yoga as well. I have been popping around to read everyone's blogs, but often I do not have time to comment.

Peace out!

I will be sure to update after it's all over with the outcome of the surgery etc.

2 comments:

laughingwolf said...

enjoy yourself, kg... if that's the word...

dunno why nurses are untrained in the procedure! :(

Patty said...

Good evening. Even though I don't any longer post on efx2, I still go back and read the blogs, WHEN IT IS WORKING. I noticed you said you are at VOX now, I was, but then dropped my membership, because I didn't have time to be messing around with two blogs, especially when I still was learning how to use VOX.

But when I went there and tried to leave a message, it said I had to join, so I tried, by using my email address I had used before and they said that was being used, so I tried to sign in with that e-mail address and the password I had before, but it wouldn't accept it.

Then I remembered, you had a blog at blogspot, so here I am.

I was so sorry to hear of all the problems Donna had to endure. I hope she doesn't have nightmares about the whole thing. You would think the doctors would have been ready in case this happened. Makes you wonder sometimes what they are thinking.

I so hope this procedure will work and she's able to gain a little weight. Thinking of you both and wishing you the best. You girls hang in there. Love, Patty